In the early 19th Century, the Parish of St. David’s did not really
exist as Pencoed was part of the Parish of Coychurch and all burials
were undertaken at St. Crallo’s. However, because of the distance
involved in carrying the Bier from the
top end of the village and beyond, it was necessary to find a place to
break the overnight journeys.
Therefore, a Chapel of Ease was created, which was later known as Pencoed District Church. Records are somewhat vague. However, it is an accepted truth that a school room was made available in the Church on weekdays, reverting back to a place of Worship on Sundays. It became known as the “National School” and was run by the Church. However, it is on record that in 1879, it became the Pencoed Board School. It was henceforth named St. David’s Church.
At a later date, Pencoed ceased to be linked with Coychurch and joined with Brynna. But in 1940, Pencoed had its own Vicar, and so parted company with Brynna, and was linked with Heol-y-Cyw and Llanilid.
For more information see service times or map.